Independence Day: The Forgotten History of America’s 4th of July and What It Commemorates
On this special holiday episode of the Resistance Library Podcast Dan and Sam are discussing the 4th of July. You can read the full article at Ammo.com: https://ammo.com/articles/inde....pendence-day-forgott
For $20 off your $200 purchase, go to https://ammo.com/podcast (a special deal for our listeners).
Follow Sam Jacobs on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SamJacobs45
And check out our sponsor, Libertas Bella, for all of your favorite historic icons shirts at https://libertasbella.com/.
Every American knows what Independence Day is. Alongside Christmas and Thanksgiving, it’s one of the few holidays that hasn’t fallen prey to having to be celebrated on the closest Monday, rather than the actual day it falls on. However, less known is the history of the Fourth of July as a holiday. How did the celebrations emerge and what is the history of this, America’s birthday?
Few know that the 13 Colonies actually legally separated from the mother country, the United Kingdom of Great Britain, on July 2nd, not July 4th. This was the day that the Continental Congress voted to approve a resolution of independence. After voting in favor of independence, the Congress then turned toward the actual drafting of the resolution, which we known today as the Declaration of Independence. It was on July 4th that Congress approved the resolution.
For his part, John Adams believed that July 2nd would be the day to be celebrated throughout the ages in the United States. While his prediction was two days off, his prediction of how the day would be celebrated is pretty close to the mark:
“It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.”
You can read the full article “Independence Day: The Forgotten History of America’s 4th of July and What It Commemorates” at Ammo.com.
- Independence Day: The Forgotten History of America’s 4th of July and What It Commemorates: https://ammo.com/articles/inde....pendence-day-forgott
- American Exceptionalism: Quotes About the American Dream and What Makes America Unique: https://ammo.com/articles/amer....ican-exceptionalism-
- The U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights: An Interactive Guide to the Articles and Amendments: https://ammo.com/articles/us-c....onstitution-interact
- Founding Fathers’ Quotes: https://ammo.com/articles#quotes-ff
- Resistance Library: https://ammo.com/articles
- Sam Jacobs: https://ammo.com/our-team#sam-jacobs